Updated: Oct 22, 2018
After birth dads are super exited to have a baby and they concentrate their attention on bonding and cuddling the baby. This is great!
Sometime it is not always so natural. It takes time for the bonding and often they can feel useless as, if a woman breastfeed, they don't know what they should do.
First of all, the most important thing to remember is that a dad is not useless! A father can do a lot!
It is physiological that for the first 6 weeks after birth the baby is interested only in one thing: feeding (breastfeeding or bottle feeding). So if it is a woman is breastfeeding she will be the only person who can take care of the primary need of the baby!
Sometime breastfeeding it comes very natural but most of the time it can be hard and it consume lot of energy from the new mum. “There's no single answer to how many calories a nursing mom needs. But in general, most women who are breastfeeding need about 500 calories more than moms who aren't – that's a total of 2,000 to 2,500 calories per day. Instead of counting calories, it is advice to follow hunger as a guide to how much a woman need to
Here a useful link from the NHS website to think about a good diet and vitamins support for breastfeeding!
Therefore a new mum will need extra food and extra sleep.
It is import for a new dad to understand this, so he can actually help on everything else!
A dad can:
· Help around the house, cleaning/washing. It will reduce stress for the partner and make sure she gets enough rest.
· Help with cooking. As previously said a new mum will be very hungry if she is breastfeeding. Always have some nice and healthy food for her to eat.
· “BURP” the baby after a feed. Not all the baby needs to be burped but, after the mum finished to breastfeed, she might be tired and she wants to rest. So this is a great opportunity for dad and baby bonding! Dad usually got a nice big warm chest where baby can feel comfortable to fall asleep.
· Care for the baby in ways other than feeding. We know that change nappy is not the best job in the world but after the first few times it gets easier. Bath the baby, go out for a walk, change baby clothes and sing a nice lullaby.
· Cuddle your partner and make her feel important and beautiful. It is hard for a woman after birth to fell attractive and not only a “pump” from where the baby can feed! Always give her positive feedback and reassure her that she is doing a great job.
A father can do lot of more! So always remember that you are a team and you work together! You are not only a team of 2 now but of 3 or 4 or depends how many kids you have! Work together to build a nice warm environment for your family!